Thursday, August 26, 2010

Some People - RL

I'm very fond of the owner's wife where I work. Sometimes she talks about her frustrations. Today she said she "You know how long it's been since I got my new washer." (not really, but recently). She had later driven to the store and paid for it. "I got a bill today that they were charging me a $35 late fee." Her husband went to the store to find out about it and they told him it wasn't paid for, so he paid for the washer and the late fee. (I played ring-around-the-rosy to find out this much). "I don't understand him. Why didn't they know it was paid for? It should have been in their computer." (She doesn't trust computers)

I said "Did you write a check?" She didn't remember. "You surely didn't pay cash. Go look in your checkbook for proof you paid it. The bank can give you a copy of the cancelled check." Here it comes, the unbelieveable response "I don't care about proof." By now she is very agitated. My response "You will need proof you paid for it, so you can get your money back. Go look in your checkbook."

She came back in a few minutes waving her checkbook "I found it!"

1 comment:

Emyly Beaumont said...

Emy nods her head. "I work in a public accounting firm, so I am familiar with the mindset of people to whom accounting for their business finances is NOT a priority. Then they expect us to work miracles when it is tax return time. We had one client who trashed his bank statements and canceled checks and just sent us receipts (no income.) Thank goodness banks can furnish copies even if it is expensive for the client."